Whether you’re staying warm indoors and gardening vicariously or you’re outside getting things in order, here are a few more regional gardening tips to help you get through winter.
- Rework your garden design.
- Review last year’s garden journal and start a new one for this year by recording your seed/plant orders.
- Check your stored bulbs and veggies.
- Check plants for heaving.
- Recycle your Christmas tree as garden mulch or a bird feeder.
- Feed the birds and provide them with some unfrozen water.
If you live in a cold climate, then
- do some winter sowing to get a head start on both vegetables and flowers that need stratification.
- Zones 7+ can start seeds of slow growing cool season vegetables like cauliflower, leeks and annual flowers like ageratum, geranium, nicotiana, petunias, portulaca, snapdragons and verbena, indoors.
- Check outdoor plants for animal damage.
- Check houseplants plants for indoor pests.